Re: OA - What cost? What value?

This formulation calls to mind Jakes Barnes' final line in The
Sun Also Rises: "Isn't it pretty to think so?."

When in the history of any human enterprise (at least after the
discovery of simple machines) has a "negligible" investment
produced "double" the output? Let's say "negligible" is 0.05 in
whatever arbitrary units you choose--dollars, say. A 40-fold
increase in impact? Common sense tells us otherwise. So do the
data that exist.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services