Armbruster post

Chris Armbruster's recent post to this list is thoughtful and worth studying, but there is a comment in it that seems off base to me:

"Yet, another part of the logic of the internet would seem to be that in scholarly communication "content holding" is a shrinking business model."

I'm afraid that when we invoke "the logic of the internet [sic]" we should think whose logic we are applying. The Internet is maturing; it is going (to use a very American metaphor) from the Wild West to a fenced-in open range. This is as to be expected, as the more nodes one connects to a network, the greater the primacy of a very small number of nodes. This is why for all the many Internet companies started up in the Internet boom years, the online world is now dominated by a very small number: Yahoo, Amazon, eBay, Microsoft, Google, and perhaps two or three others. In economics terms, this is a matter network effects and the law of increasing terms, about the only two economic terms I routinely hear people use in Silicon Valley. (Well, then there is IPO.) This point was captured several years ago in an essay, which I cite repeatedly, by Clay Shirky on "Power Laws", which can be found at http://shirky.com.

The problem with "public good" arguments about the evolution of the Internet and scholarly communications is that they fly in the face of how large networks operate. This is a game about the Short Head, not the Long Tail. The Short Head may not necessarily be dominated by commercial entities such as Elsevier and The Nature Publishing Group, but it will be dominated.

Joe Esposito