Re: The Value of OA

The problem is that, on Capitol Hill and in many federal agencies
(with the exception of Agency for Healthcare Research and
Quality), there has developed a narrow focus on OA, not on
patient-centered tools for health prevention and care. This is
despite the fact that the government's own blueprint for health
promotion, Healthy People 2010, makes improving health literacy a
primary focus. In the context of Healthy People 2010, health
literacy means reaching unserved and underserved
populations....not making scholarly articles available through
OA. It means bridging the digital divide, not making it wider by
focusing on people who already are lucky enough to have broadband
Internet access and the education to interpret and make use of
primary biomedical literature.

Also, it is a sad fact that with the NIH budget declining in real
dollars, health research and education is a zero-sum game. Fiscal
support for NIH has steadily eroded since 2003 as appropriations
have flattened or even decreased. In the last four years, the NIH
budget has not kept pace with biomedical research and development
inflation and the agency has lost about 10 percent of its
purchasing power when adjusted for biomedical inflation. So, even
though a patient-centered database or PMC might not cost a lot in
relation to the total NIH budget, every dollar applied to a new
program is money taken a shrinking pool of money.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
pbanks@bankspub.com