Sent: 05 April 2007 23:41
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: The Value of OA

Peter

The amount of time, money, and energy that has gone into the open
access debate is peanuts compared to the amount of time, money,
and energy that has gone into actual cancer research.  The idea
that promoting open access is somehow retarding progress in
cancer research is a non-starter.

(Incidentally, the amount of money spent on open access is
probably no larger than the amount of money spent by funders on
journal page charges. However, you rarely see anybody question
how much further we would be if all the money that has gone into
page charges had instead been applied to actual cancer research!)

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe
E-mail:  david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk