RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Dear Mark,

Thank you for starting such a very timely discussion on
Liblicense-l. Ithaka and its affiliates JSTOR and Portico have
been thinking about these questions for some time now, and we
have been working together on a variety of research studies to
try to understand this environment.

Most recently, in the summer and fall of 2006, we commissioned
several nationwide surveys to learn about librarian and faculty
attitudes and perspectives. Our academic librarian survey
targeted those senior managers responsible for collection
development (generally an associate university librarian at a
university library, but at a smaller school this could have been
a library director or an acquisitions librarian depending on how
functions are assigned), and received more than 350 responses.
Our faculty survey targeted individuals from across the arts and
sciences disciplines, as well as several of the professions, from
4-year colleges, and received more than 4,100 responses. Both
were limited to the United States.

We retained a professional research firm called Odyssey to help
us with these studies. One technique they use quite effectively
is to offer strongly-worded statements and then gauge the level
of agreement with these statements on a 10-point scale. In the
figures here I will group those who selected an 8, 9, or 10 as
agreeing strongly with the statement that has been offered and
those who selected a 1, 2, or 3 as disagreeing strongly. Here are
two such statements:

* "If our library cancelled the current issues of a print version
of a journal but continued to make them available electronically,
that would be fine with me." On this statement, 62% of faculty
members agree strongly, indicating their strong willingness to
cancel current print issues and rely exclusively on e-journals.
Virtually the same share of librarians, 64%, also agrees strongly
with this possibility. Among both librarians and faculty, only
12% disagree strongly with this statement, suggesting that active
resistance to dropping print format for journal acquisitions is
relatively isolated.

* Faculty members are far less willing to contemplate the
withdrawal of existing backfile collections: "Assuming that
electronic collections of journals are proven to work well and
are readily accessible, I would be happy to see hard-copy
collections discarded and replaced entirely by electronic
collections." Only 20% of faculty members agree strongly with
this statement, while 50% disagree strongly with it. Even though
the decision to cease acquiring print-version current issues will
necessarily result in print backfile collections no longer being
built, it is far easier for faculty members to support a
cessation of acquisitions than it is to imagine outright
withdrawal. On the other hand, a plurality of librarians (43%)
agrees strongly with this statement about the withdrawal of print
backfiles, while only 25% disagrees strongly.

Among faculty members, we were not surprised to learn of
substantial differences across the disciplines in their readiness
to see an elimination of print versions, both for current issue
acquisitions and for backfiles. While some of these differences
are as expected, with scientists generally more enthusiastic for
a transition than humanists, in fact we observe substantial
swings on a discipline-by-discipline level even within, for
example, the humanities generally.

Throughout our librarian study, we see recurring indications that
the larger research libraries tend to have become more prepared
internally for a transition away from print and to an exclusively
electronic environment. For example, on questions where we tried
to gauge just how soon a major transition might be expected, far
more librarians at research universities could contemplate a
tipping-point arising "in the near future" than could librarians
at teaching universities or colleges.

As you suggested, our studies indicate the great concern among
both faculty members and librarians in ensuring that the
electronic versions of journals are properly preserved for the
long term.

My conclusion from our studies is that, within some disciplines,
there is little value remaining to faculty members in continuing
to acquire print versions of current issues. (In some cases,
journals with specific readership profiles, such as clinical
subscribers or scholarly society members, might have additional
demand for individual, but not institutional, subscriptions in
print format.) Many librarians also appear ready to make a
transition away from print and probably would support this for
appropriate disciplines, so long as the preservation of
electronic versions was assured in community-acceptable archives.

At the same time, it is critical that publishers consider not
only reader-side demand for print, but also the author-side
demand to appear in a print publication. Some preliminary work on
this topic has already been completed by Diane Harley and Jud
King at Berkeley, with more to come (see
http://cshe.berkeley.edu/research/scholarlycommunication/index.htm).

I hope our survey findings are helpful to this discussion. I
would be happy to work further with you or others individually on
these very timely questions.

Roger Schonfeld
Manager of Research
Ithaka