Re: Is it time to stop printing journals?

And during our discussion here, what do I find in my gmail
account? GMAIL PAPER!  See below. Users and libraries can now
offload all article printing costs on to Gmail...  Ann Okerson

PS.  BUT, HINT, remember what day of the year it is...

New! Introducing Gmail Paper:  Everyone loves Gmail. But not
everyone loves email, or the digital era. What ever happened to
stamps, filing cabinets, and the mailman? Well, you asked for it,
and it's here. We're bringing it back.

A New Button:  Now in Gmail, you can request a physical copy of
any message with the click of a button, and we'll send it to you
in the mail.

Simplicity Squared:  Google will print all messages instantly and
prepare them for delivery. Allow 2-4 business days for a parcel
to arrive via post.

Total Control:  A stack of Gmail Paper arrives in a box at your
doorstep, and it's yours to keep forever. You can read it, sort
it, search it, touch it. Or even move it to the trash -- the real
trash. (Recycling is encouraged.)

Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe:  Google takes privacy very
seriously. But once your email is physically in your hands, it's
as secure as you want to make it.

Is it free?  Yes. The cost of postage is offset with the help of
relevant, targeted, unobtrusive advertisements, which will appear
on the back of your Gmail Paper prints in red, bold, 36 pt
Helvetica. No pop-ups, no flashy animations - these are
physically impossible in the paper medium.

How about attachments?  All part of the deal. Photo attachments
are printed on high-quality, glossy photo paper, and secured to
your Gmail Paper with a paper clip. MP3 and WAV files will not be
printed. We recommend maintaining copies of your non-paper Gmail
in these cases.

Is there a limit?  You can make us print one, one thousand, or
one hundred thousand of your emails. It's whatever seems
reasonable to you.

But what about the environment?  Not a problem. Gmail Paper is
made out of 96% post-consumer organic soybean sputum, and thus,
actually helps the environment. For every Gmail Paper we produce,
the environment gets incrementally healthier.

###