Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:50 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Scott Plutchak from UAB writes in his blog response:

"We certainly don't need to keep the print to satisfy our user base.
Two years ago we stopped getting any print for our ScienceDirect titles.
I did not get a single question, comment, or expression of concern from
faculty or students.  We've reached the point where librarians tend to
worry a lot more about the print than the people who use our libraries
do."

I am curious to hear whether this is a commonly held sentiment.
In other words, do the librarians on this list have the sense that their
patrons are operating in a post-print world (not in the OA/PMC/Battle
Royale sense of the term, but meaning have we outgrown print)?  If so,
this would be a remarkable shift, and a remarkably quick one.  Certainly
when I helped launch The Berkeley Electronic Press in 2000, print was
sacrosanct.  The idea of a viable electronic-only journal publisher was
met with feedback running the wide gamut from skepticism to scorn.  If
this equation has indeed flipped in a matter of a half-dozen or so
years, this ranks as one of the most important periods in scholarly
communication history.

Best, Greg

Greg Tananbaum
gtananbaum@gmail.com