RE: Matt Cockerill's comments [Wellcome Trust and OA fees thread]

I would like to quickly comment on Paul Peters remarks that:

"...by having a set amount (say $3,000) that they are willing to
pay for the publication of an article (which is more or less the
policy of the Wellcome Trust)," and "Unfortunately, neither the
policy of the Wellcome Trust nor that of CERN's SCOAP3 have a
mechanism for increasing the competition between publishers, so
one cannot expect that they will lead to greater efficiency in
the publishing market"

***

The Wellcome Trust has never set a figure on how much it is
prepared to pay for an open access article.  The Trust recognises
that publishing incurs a cost, and that this is a legitimate
research costs which it is prepared to meet.

The specific costs are set by the publishers - and though it is
true that the OA costs are coalescing around $3000, some
publishers have gone lower (e.g. ASBMB charge $1500) and some
have gone higher (e.g. Cell Press charge $5000).  We will not
know whether this is a true reflection of costs until the market
itself demonstrates it.

Robert Kiley
Head of e-Strategy
Wellcome Library.