RE: Haworth copyright policy clarification

In the spirit of welcoming conversation here's a few more views
on the form (the comments not necessarily confined only to
Haworth assignments).

1. It might be nice for publishers to print these forms using a
reasonable font size. When authors are being asked to sign away
the lion's share of their copyright I'm sure that they would
appreciate being able to read an important legal document without
the aid of a magnifying glass!

2. I'm not entirely sure why this form, and others, seem to make
it something of a virtue that it is not restrictive in relation
to other rights and, for example, refers, to the fact that
employees/institutions retain other proprietary intellectual
property rights. Of course they do! The fact that they do so is a
simple matter of law and not something that publishers are in a
position to interfere with or take anyway in a form such as this.
By taking out some of these unnecessary statements it might give
more room to make it clear to authors exactly what they are
signing away.

3. In terms of oral presentation rights. I don't know the
position in the US but in the UK the Copyright Designs and
Patents Act 1988, section 59 allows any person (not just a
copyright owner) to read a "reasonable" extract from a published,
copyright literary work. There may always be debate on what is
"reasonable" but it is highly unlikely that anyone would fall
foul of this provision by reading out a substantial part of such
a work, at a gathering such as a conference.  In any case,
various other statutory defences to infringement of copyright in
the UK would also allow anyone to do this. It frequently
interests me how publishers "license" things which the general
law often allows in any case - and to a far wider audience than
the original author!

4. To be honest I still have some difficulty in calling this, and
similar documents from other publishers, a "LIMITED COPYRIGHT
TRANSFER." Admittedly it is pretty limited (although reasonably
representative) in terms of the residual limited rights reserved
to the author. But I don't think that's what is meant!

5. I also still find it wholly unnecessary to take copyright, in
an unsolicited work, which the publishers representatives or
referees have not even read and may decide not to publish!
Frankly, I think that that is inappropriate. You do not need
ownership of copyright to put an article out to refereeing
procedures, or simply to consider it for publication and I think
it is an oppressive and unnecessary approach. Copyright should
only pass on acceptance of the manuscript and it should not be
made a pre-condition for its consideration. I don't know about
the US but I wonder how a UK court would construe such an
"agreement" - notwithstanding the Entire Agreement clause!

Regards

Laurence W. Bebbington
Law Librarian/IS Copyright Officer
Information Services