Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:08 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Is it time to stop printing journals?

The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) is considering
discontinuing the print version of its journal Molecular Biology
of the Cell (MBC). We welcome comments from the library community
about the value of print journals and the adequacy of LOCKSS,
Portico, and PubMed Central as archives of electronic journals.
We are also curious about whether librarians would be interested
in a print-on-demand option for obtaining archival print copies
if regular print subscriptions were discontinued.

The impetus for discontinuing the print edition is a desire to reduce
author charges, especially for color figures. The cost of producing the
print edition greatly exceeds revenue from print subscriptions. Author
charges (page charges and color charges) are the largest source of
revenue for the journal. In effect, authors are subsidizing the print
subscriptions.

We suspect that it is not feasible to raise the print subscription rate
enough to cover the cost of print. The many-fold increase in the
subscription rate that would be required would likely launch a vicious
cycle of declining subscriptions and escalating subscription rates and
would be tantamount to discontinuing the print journal anyway, but in a
sloppy, uncontrolled manner. The online version of MBC is the journal of
record and is rich in material not found in print:

More than 60% of the articles include supplemental data or videos
online.  Since 2000, print subscriptions have been available only
to institutions that also have online subscriptions (and to ASCB
members, who receive access to the online journal as a benefit of
membership).

The online institutional subscription rate is on the low side:
$578 for approximately 5400 pages per year.  The print
subscription rate is ridiculously low:  an additional $83 for a
U.S. institution.  For 2007, the rates were increased for the
first time since 2002.  As we strive to maintain the journal's
financial viability while maintaining a fair balance of revenue
sources, we ve had to take a hard look at the value of the print
journal, which seems to be expensive to produce and perhaps
unnecessary. We have been soliciting comments from authors,
editors, and ASCB members and would also like to hear from
librarians.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

W. Mark Leader
Director of Publications