Re: Clarification on SERU proposal

Let me ask a question (and this may be stupid but): We all spend
a great deal of time dealing with licensing and contracts for
e-resources -- which is why people want a SERU -- to save time.

How often is a contract enforced?  In the total universe of
licenses that are created each year what percentage are violated
(on either side) to the extent that the other party feels
obligated to enforce it?

I understand why lawyers require them and why libraries want
them.  I'm just curious how often they're actually needed.  If it
turns out that they're only needed 1 percent of the time that
might be a good argument for doing something else.

I've wondered why we don't simply replace licenses and copyright
with insurance.  If you spend thousands of dollars on a database
you'd buy a policy that would protect you if someone did
something that harmed you (and the insurance company could then
sue to recover their payout) On the other hand, if you didn't
care you could simply not buy a policy and let people do what
they want.  If you wrote a book you (or your publisher) might buy
a policy for the first ten years to protect the investment. In
ten years when your book is out of print and no one is making a
profit you might drop the policy or move to one with a higher
deductible -- since your risk is now lower.  I care this year
that someone does something to my new book.  I care less in
twenty years what someone does to it. If I had a "high risk" item
-- say my latest rock album that I expect to sell a million
copies -- I would pay more -- with appropriate deductions for
taking steps -- like digital rights management -- to reduce
piracy.

We have a fairly good system of assessing risk etc for insurance
with physical property.  Why couldn't that work with electronic
property? And it would also reduce the legal costs for companies
because they wouldn't have to be suing individuals -- that would
be the insurance companies' problem -- sort of like with an
uninsured motorist claim.  The price of the insurance could then
be factored in the price of the product -- increases probably(??)
offset by reductions in costs for negotiating licenses, paying
lawyers, saving time.

Karl Bridges
University of Vermont