RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?

Concerning Molecular Biology of the Cell

> We are also curious about whether librarians would be
> interested in a print-on-demand option for obtaining archival
> print copies if regular print subscriptions were discontinued.

ASCB would not be the first publisher to do that: Elsevier offers
a half priced subscription for the journal "Topology" with a
delayed print delivery (annualy instead of bimonthly)
http://www.elsevier.com/framework_products/promis_misc/00261altsub.htm

As a librarian, I would be confident to drop the print version of
Mol. Biol. Cell, knowing that it is fully archived in
PubMedCentral.

Francois Rappaz

Centre de documentation de la Faculte des Sciences
Universite de Fribourg
DokPe - Dokumentationszentrum der Naturwissenschaftlichen Fakultaet
Universitaet Freiburg
Perolles CH-1700 Fribourg Switzerland
http://www.unifr.ch/dokpe/
Tel.: 41 (0)26 300 92 60