RE: arXiv (RE: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty)

> I'm sure there are more current figures, but as of 2002, some
> sections of The Astrophysical Journal (ApJ) were nearly fully
> covered by arXiv.  Someone on this list can undoubtedly provide
> more current figures.

For both political and practical reasons, the gulf between
"nearly fully covered" and "fully covered" can be quite large
when it comes to justifying subscription cancellations.  But the
gulf gets smaller as subscription prices get higher and as
budgets get tighter; when a journal truly is fully covered
without emargo, the gulf becomes negligible.  That's not to say
that there might not be people on campus who would prefer the
convenience of a subscription -- it's just that justifying the
purchase of a subscription becomes nearly impossible when the
price of a subscription is high and the content is easily
available for free.

Consider _Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter_.  This is a
$10,000/year title.  Now suppose that mandates are put in place
requiring all articles in that journal to be fully archived in
postprint versions without embargo.  How could a research library
possibly justify a continued subscription?  Maybe if the library
has a virtually unlimited materials budget and supports a
powerful physics department, but there are very few such
libraries.  The rest of us have to make hard decisions about how
to allocate scarce resources -- and for most of us, this wouldn't
even be a hard decision.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition