RE: the Yale argument on open-choice

I agree that there will continue to be differentiation in the
journal publishing market.

While forms of research evaluation other than journal-metrics
will probably grow in importance, for the forseeable future high
prestige, high rejection rate journals (such as our own Genome
Biology) are going to be in demand, and (given that their
cost-per-article is typically significantly higher), they will
probably charge more.

Are these journals still under competitive pressure? Absolutely.
If authors can get the same level of prestige and service
elsewhere at a lower cost, they will take that option, surely?

Cell, Science and Nature compete for papers all the time. Imagine
a hypothetical scenario where Science decides to make its
research articles open access with no author charge (deciding
that its ad revenues and the subscription revenues for its
non-research content are more than adequate to cover its costs),
while Nature decides to introduce an author charge of $10,000 (in
an attempt to milk the value of its brand for all it is worth).
Would Nature feel no competitive pressure in that situation to
reduce its charge?

Airlines offer one analogy. Ryanair/Easyjet and other low-cost
carriers compete head-to-head to get you from A to B for the
lowest possible price. Meanwhile, business class fares are
perhaps 10 fold higher than this, but this does not mean that
business class fares are immune from competition, as new low-cost
business airlines like Eos and Maxjet demonstrate. I would agree
that price competition is *more* intense at the lower end of the
market, but having a premium brand certainly doesn't give you the
freedom to charge whatever you like, in the way that having a
monopoly on a vital resource does.

Matt