Clarification on SERU proposal

Hi Sandy,

I think you are right about the University of Chicago's approach
being a "click through license" or a license of adhesion. Since
many libraries must print them and treat them as if they were
license agreements, you don't necessarily see savings in the time
required for the process. In fact, it can be harder to initiate
needed license negotiations.

The SERU approach is different in an important way - it's not
another kind of license, even a click-through license. SERU is an
optional approach and avoids the use of "terms and conditions",
"agreements" or even "guidelines". With the SERU approach,
publishers and subscribing institutions may choose to forgo the
license - even a license of adhesion. The only terms of the
exchange are thus the business terms: what, for how much, for how
long. SERU describes a general understanding of behavior and can
be an option for those publishers for whom the paperwork isn't
worth the handling cost.

I'm going to post a response to John Cox's message shortly and I
think you might find his description of this approach as an
implied contract without a license helpful. The power of this
kind of approach is that for many transactions, both parties may
be satisfied without the expensive and time-consuming resort of a
license agreement.

Judy Luther MLS, MBA
Informed Strategies LLC
610-645-7546 EDT
judy.luther@informedstrategies.com
  <outbind://200/www.informedstrategies.com> www.informedstrategies.com

   _____

But doesn't this "agreement," whether it takes the form of a "written
license" or not, still come with "terms and conditions," which is what the
recent post from the University of Chicago Press mentioned. And if one must
accept these "terms and conditions" through some sort of click-on procedure,
isn't that still a "license" fully valid in a court of law? Our officials at
Penn State frown on such click-on agreements, and we at the Press have had
to negotiate individually a number of them anyway with the vendors offering
them.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press