Re: arXiv (RE: Why Cornell's Institutional Repository Is Near-Empty)

I probably won't be the first to bring up examples from astrophysics and
other disciplines that are fully (or nearly completely) represented in the arXiv.
Rick Responds:

Yes, but these are preprints, correct? If arXiv is hosting the complete postprint contents of any physics journal (without embargo), please let me know so I can cancel my library subscription to that title.

Phil replies:

I'm sure there are more current figures, but as of 2002, some sections of The Astrophysical Journal (ApJ) were nearly fully covered by arXiv. Someone on this list can undoubtedly provide more current figures.

"By 2002 72% of ApJ papers were posted as astro-ph preprints, but this fraction varies from 22-95% among the subfields studied. A majority of these preprints (61%) were posted after the papers were accepted at ApJ, and 88% were posted or updated after acceptance.

[1] Schwarz, G. J., & Kennicutt, R. C. J. (2004). Demographic and Citation Trends in Astrophysical Journal papers and Preprints. Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, 36, 1654-1663. http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0411275

--Phil Davis