Re: Clarification on SERU proposal

But doesn't this "agreement," whether it takes the form of a "written license" or not, still come with "terms and conditions," which is what the recent post from the University of Chicago Press mentioned. And if one must accept these "terms and conditions" through some sort of click-on procedure, isn't that still a "license" fully valid in a court of law? Our officials at Penn State frown on such click-on agreements, and we at the Press have had to negotiate individually a number of them anyway with the vendors offering them.

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

Hi Joe,

One of the defining discoveries in this process was to learn that
as long as there was a written license agreement, it would be
normal for each state institution to require that their own
specific language be included, thus precluding any standardized
agreement. In part to avoid this situation, we sought to develop
a true alternative to a license agreement - rather than an
alternative license agreement. Librarians and publishers have
noted that often we are comfortable with an implied contract just
as with a verbal agreement. Where there is general consensus, by
avoiding the paperwork, we can streamline the process for anyone
involved. Realistically, in many transactions there isn't a
potential loss of substantial revenue for the publisher or risk
for either publisher or library. With new publishers who would
not take issue with terms supported by librarians, the SERU
approach actually shortens the sales cycle and eliminates the
delay of processing paperwork that isn't used.

Further comments are welcome on SERU which is available now in
draft form with FAQs on the NISO website.
http://www.niso.org/committees/SERU

Judy Luther MLS, MBA
www.InformedStrategies.com
610-645-7546 EDT