RE: Summary paper from the Publishing Research Consortium

Something on which Stevan and I can agree!

Should self-archiving lead to the demise of journals (as seems
obvious) the money previously used for subscriptions could indeed
go to support journals operating on author-side payments.  It is
not immediately clear how this might happen, but I am sure this
could be resolved.

It is important to note that the money will not, though, be freed
up for libraries to purchase the books and other material that
they'd like to buy - more is the pity.  They simply won't have
acquisition budgets anymore.

Ian Russell
Chief Executive, ALPSP