RE: the Yale argument on open-choice

> For all the many problems of the traditional model of user-pays
> publishing, it does one thing very well:  it marries the
> production of information to the ability to consume it.  In
> plain English, this is called living within a budget.

I'm not even convinced that there are many problems with the
traditional model of user-pays publishing.  The model itself
works great, as Joe points out.  The problem is with price
inflation.  If all journal subscriptions cost $5 per year, no one
would be complaining about the subscription model.

Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries
rickand@unr.edu