RE: NISO Shared E-Resource Understanding (SERU) Releases Draft Recommended Practices

The University of Chicago Press welcomes the SERU Working Group's
efforts to develop a common understanding between publishers and
librarians for use of online material that acknowledges the
legitimate interests of each. The best practices described in the
SERU document are in close agreement with those recently adopted
by the Press. (We were grateful for the opportunity to comment
upon an earlier draft of the SERU document.)

As of January 1, 2007, we no longer require our institutional
subscribers to sign a formal license for access to our electronic
journals. Instead, we ask all users of our online content to
abide by our Terms and Conditions of Use, which are available on
our website at http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/license.html. Our
new licensing requirements were initiated in response to feedback
from our library customers, who told us that the need to
negotiate licenses is often a barrier to access, and are a
reflection upon the library community's demonstrated willingness
to work with publishers to safeguard intellectual property rights
and promptly resolve abuse issues.

Sincerely,

KATE DUFF
Licensing & Permissions Manager, Journals Division
The University of Chicago Press
Chicago, IL 60637
P:773.702.7688
F:773.834.3489