RE: Summary paper from the Publishing Research Consortium

The Beckett and Inger paper 'Self-Archiving and Journal
Subscriptions: Co-existence or Competition?' gives us a
hypothesis (p. 11 of the summary paper):

'In the extreme case of 100% availability of content on the
institutional archives and a 24-month embargo, still nearly half
the market for subscription journals has disappeared.'

So, if 100% of the journal's content is freely available the
journal will, all other factors being equal, lose a massive
proportion of its subscription base.  Decreasing the embargo to
zero increases the predicted fall in the market from 50% to
approximately 70%.

Can we test this hypothesis?  If we look at journals hosted by
HighWire Press we can see that a large number make papers freely
available after 6, 12, or 24 months (see
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl). For these
journals, the final versions of papers are made available to all.
If the prediction made by Beckett and Inger was true then these
journals should have started to haemorrhaging subscriptions
following the opening-up of the archives.  Is there any evidence
that they have?

Back in 2005, John Sack wrote, in a history of HighWire Press
(http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp/2005/00000018/00000002/art00008)

After several years of content was online, Nick Cozzarelli
(PNAS), Bob Simoni (JBC) and Michael Held (Rockefeller University
Press) presented a concept of 'free back issues' to their
colleague HighWire publishers. Their view was that librarians and
researchers were subscribing because they needed access to
absolutely current issues, and that there was significant
educational benefit in issues that were months old. They proposed
that back issues (6 or 12 months old) be made freely available to
the public to support educational uses, and expected that this
would have no significant effect on subscription count. Gradually
more and more journals came to this same belief, and today the
programme comprises the largest archive of free full-text
research articles that we know of: over 825,000 articles from
about 220 journals.

There does not appear to be a mass retreat from the free back
file programme - are publisher sanguine in the face of 50%
declines in their subscription base?

Of course, most of the HighWire hosted journals offering free
backfiles are in the biological and medical fields, but as the
summary does not break-down the response of librarians by subject
area, it is difficult to tell what predictions are being made in
these fields.

So, we have a hypothesis and we have some test-cases. If the
HighWire-hosted journals are managing to survive despite the
predicted massive falls in subscriptions they should have
experience, why should we take the Beckett and Inger study as a
credible warning of what might happen as self-archiving become
more widespread?

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe