Re: D-Lib article about Cornell's Institutional Repository

As part of a recent study, I had occasion to return to the
faculty web sites at which journal articles in the social
sciences had been posted. Of 11 papers in politics and economics,
only 5 were available at their same location 15 months later.
Five of the other six of them were elsewhere at the university
web site, but could not be located except by searching for the
article either through the university's search engine or by a
general-purpose search--not a single one had links to the new
location. The 11th was no longer on the university site of the
first author, but was found posted on the sites of one of the
other authors.

To me, this indicates the completely unsatisfactory nature of use
of faculty web sites for access to journal article copies. They
would only be suitable, if the university took the initiative of
harvesting them from the original sites once they had been posted
and putting them in a stable and professional-run repository.

In connection with the findings about IRs, I consider this an
argument for either university-operated deposit in suitable IRs
in the first place, or the use of centralized repositories.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
dgoodman@princeton.edu