Re: D-Lib article about Cornell's Institutional Repository

Ann Okerson writes

> Results: Cornell's DSpace is largely underpopulated and
> underused by its faculty. Many of its collections are empty,
> and most collections contain few items.

As I heard some clever chap say at a meeting some time ago, the
idea of an institutional respository is as attractive as the idea
of a station toilet.

> Each discipline has a normative culture, largely defined by
> their reward system and traditions.

That's what I have been saying for ten years now.

> If the goal of institutional repositories is to capture and
> preserve the scholarship of one's faculty, institutional
> repositories will need to address this cultural diversity.

Repositories that are integrated into discipline aggregators do
work.

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                         mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                   http://openlib.org/home/krichel