Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

Dear Stevan,

This high-energy physics group of journals has for a long time
been the primary evidence you have been quoting to show that
self-archiving will not harm academic journals. Therefore, it is
understandable that you should express dismay at these very same
titles adopting open access publishing instead.

Among the publishers' many motivations might even have been the
anticipation that the continuing academic subscriptions to these
titles might be vulnerable to budget pressure. Considering that
some of them have subscription numbers in the very low hundreds,
the possibility of any further loss might reasonably have been
seen as catastrophic.

Until scientists can publish in OA journals-- like these will
be--then of course they have the obligation to self- archive,
just as physicists have been doing. The physicists were ahead of
other fields in self-archiving, and in developing themselves and
then using a centralized archive, and they are now continuing to
lead in the use of OA publishing.  This is a reasonable guide for
other subjects to follow:

Develop self-archiving by any available means, and then
centralized self-archiving in an system the quality of arXiv, and
then OA journals. We need coordinated effort at each part. I
think that the development of at least basic self-archiving
remains an urgent task, and you are in no way to blame for
continuing to develop that particular method. Even the view that
this ought to be done first is justifiable in the many fields
that still need it.

As for the view that only self-archiving ought to be pursued, I
can recall no other person who has ever taken that position.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library