----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Claude =3D?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gu=3DE9don?=3D"
<jean.claude.guedon@umont=>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 6:38 PM

This is an incredible perception. Just for starters, try OpenOffice and Firefox and remember that they both are open source software.

A great many tools to publish, including publishing in XML format, and not simply pumping out pdf files, exist and they are open source.

PKP and the OJS platform is just one (excellent) example of such platforms.

Learned bodies and competittive environments have little to do with the realities of open source these days.

Jean-Claude Guedon

Anthony Watkinson a ecrit:

I am afraid the free Open Source software does not deliver the sort of functionality that the learned bodies many of us work for and the editors they appoint are looking for in a highly competitive situation. Or at least this is the perception of the scholarly individuals all publishers are dependent on.

I have not personally looked into the matter so all I can quote is perceptions. Have you yourself Heather actually tried out these different systems? I have not seen an analysis of electronic manuscript submissions systems since the excellent one by Mark Ware.

How many large journals are hosted on Scholarly Exchange? It would be good if a library-run and highly successful organisation like HighWire could explain to this list why learned bodies come to them rather that use these cheap alternatives. After all Stanford University Libraries are hardly red-in-tooth-and-claw "traditional" publishers - but their services are not cheap.

Both not-for-profit and commercial publishers really do try to keep their costs down. They need to do. They are businesses.

They are also in a competitive situation. They compete for the best journal editors and the top authors and both these categories of academics expect the best support that can be provided.

The fact that we are in a sort of arms race may be unpalatable and unfortunate but it is a fact.

Anthony