Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:35 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu; Anthony Watkinson
Subject: Re: Post Brussels : Elsevier and Australian STM debate
'sprouts'

I would suspect that most editors of scholarly journals do this
as a part time situation in conjunction with their primary work
as professors in their various fields.  The numbers of academic
journal editors, outside of corporations and professional
publishing, who edit journal(s) as their full time employment is
probably very small.  Thus, I would argue, information about what
they are paid being available probably wouldn't have much effect
on anything.

For example, Professor X of Big Name University works as a law
professor and gets $10,000 a year for editing the Journal of
Silly Legal Cases on the side.  Assume he's probably making
$150,000 a year -- the extra $10000 is just not enough, in my
view, to either sway him not to be an editor or to demand more
money.  His fee covers his time and trouble for the hassle of
being an editor, but he doesn't depend on it in any real economic
sense that matters e.g. he needs the money to buy food or pay his
rent.  Professor X has no real economic incentive to demand
$20,000 a year because the publisher will simply get a new editor
-- making Professor X's cost for his demand $10,000. If you
assume individuals act in their own economic self interest
Professor X will go for the situation that pays him $160,000
yearly as opposed to any situation that results in less than
that. (And, actually, if you look into it, I would suspect that
many people who have marketable skills (law, medicine,
engineering) don't serve as editors simply because they can make
more money on the side working in their field of expertise e.g.
being a consultant, being a doctor, whatever)

Karl Bridges
Bailey Howe Library
University of Vermont
Burlington, VT  05405