Academic MySpace(s) on the Horizon?

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/03/08/MNGCROHIP11.DTL>

To quote a snippet:

"Over the past few months, social networking has expanded far
beyond its roots as the toy of screen-addicted teens collecting
friends on MySpace. The sites -- where users create personal
profiles to share photos, video, music, commentary and links to
other profiles or Web sites -- are poised to be part of everyday
online interaction. Companies like Ning are aiming to make it
easier for ordinary users to create their own, intimate networks
to connect with, say, other model railroad enthusiasts, instead
of joining a larger network like MySpace."

My question to the list is how such a social network might look
within the world of scholarly research.  We certainly have seen
elements of social networking take root in our space.  Examples
include Connotea, CiteULike, and bepress's Selected Works.  What
remains to be seen is whether our cultural DNA precludes the type
of openness and off-the-cuff sharing that are common to the
successful social network experience.  I would be happy to
summarize offline responses for the list.

BTW, I apologize for not writing ten paragraphs championing or
vilifying open access. I am still a relative neophyte to the
posting process.

Best, Greg

Greg Tananbaum
gtananbaum@gmail.com
(510) 295-7504

CONSULTING SERVICES AT THE INTERSECTION OF TECHNOLOGY, CONTENT, &
ACADEMIA