Re: University of Chicago journals [Responses]

Hi Ann,

Will you please post this comment to the thread "University of Chicago
journals [Responses]" from Thu, 1 Mar 2007?

Thank you.

All the best,
Suzanne Wu

**

We take your concerns very seriously and are contacting everyone
in this thread personally to discuss these issues further. As one
of the oldest and largest non-profit university publishers, we
are constantly seeking best practices that balance our commitment
to the availability of scholarship with our responsibility for
the future of the press. The enterprise-wide model is intended to
introduce more equitable, tiered pricing for unlimited access,
including classroom use and multi-site. For those institutions
where usage of any given journal does not justify an
enterprise-wide license, we have introduced a single-concurrency
subscription, with rates that are still among the lowest in the
industry. Some of these low rates are subsidized, and any
surpluses are reinvested into the scholarly community and
technological upgrades.

In May we will launch Chicago Journals Online using the Atypon
Premium platform. Later this year we plan to enrich our online
offering with as much archival content as we can procure, going
back to volume 1:1 in most cases, included at no additional
charge in all electronic subscriptions. We hope that the relative
cost of access for all will not lead to the choice to provide
access for none. I encourage everyone with any comments or
suggestions to contact me directly at (773)702-8785 or e-mail me
at ngupta@press.uchicago.edu.

Sincerely

NAWIN GUPTA
Journals Division Manager