From: "Sandy Thatcher" <sgt3@psu.edu>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: Post Brussels : Elsevier and Australian STM debate 'sprouts'

Nope, Penn State Press pays no support for editorial offices or stipends for editors. All that we provide is, for a few journals, copyediting and for all letterhead stationary if they desire it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "course releases." If you mean release time for faculty from teaching courses so that they can dedicate the time to journal editing, that is not within the Press's power to effect. Journal editors need to negotiate release time with their own department heads. The Press plays no role in these negotiations, direct or indirect.

Since clearly university presses differ in these respects, I suggest that you put together a short survey for journal managers to fill out on the AAUP listserv for journal managers. Then we'll have data that can serve as the basis for making statements.