RE: Post Brussels : Elsevier and Australian STM debate 'sprouts'

I was a publisher of some 50 medical and nursing journals from
the mid-1980s to mid-1990s.  All our journal editors were paid a
fee/honorarium or royalty in addition to having their expenses
covered.  We published a number of journals under contract for
learned societies;  in these cases the societies themselves paid
the editors (often extremely generously) out of their share of
the profits.

In fact, we calculated that we paid a significantly higher
percentage of journal revenues to editors and proprietors than
was the case for books

It would be fascinating to survey journal publishers to find out
the distribution of paid/unpaid journal editors, and any
correlation with the type of publisher, subject area etc...

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)