RE: Query Re Library Responsibility for Library Patrons' Use

In the early 1990s, representatives of UK universities and
publishers came up with the following mutually acceptable
wording:

5.6 The Licensee shall:

5.6.1 Use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that all Authorised
[and Walk-in] Users are appropriately notified of the importance
of respecting the intellectual property rights in the Licensed
Material and of the sanctions which the Licensee imposes for
failing to do so, as specified in Schedule 3

(the Schedule to consist of a copy of the institution's internal
policy - it's recommended that the parties should check that the
Licensee's policy is acceptable to the Publisher; possible
additional wording would have the Licensee undertake here to
enforce the policy outlined in the Schedule)

5.6.2 Use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that Authorised
[and Walk-in] Users are made aware of and agree to abide by the
terms and conditions of this Licence; use all reasonable
endeavours to monitor compliance and immediately on becoming
aware of any unauthorised use or other breach, inform the
Publisher and take all reasonable steps, including appropriate
disciplinary action, both to ensure that such activity ceases and
to prevent any recurrence

5.7 Nothing in this Licence shall make the Licensee liable for
breach of the terms of the Licence by any Authorised [or Walk-in]
User provided that the Licensee did not cause, knowingly assist
or condone the continuation of such breach after becoming aware
of an actual breach having occurred.

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
Email:  sally@morris-assocs.demon.co.uk