Sent: 28 February 2007 12:08
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: message to liblicense-l

How is "political will" going to "redirect" the income stream
that comes from private companies now in the form of
subscriptions for their R&D departments when they will be "free
riders" on a pure OA system? Sure, they'll be happy to pay fees
for their own researchers to publish in STM journals, but my
guess is that they pay a lot more into the system now than they
would through author fees in an OA system. What kind of
"political" solution is there to this potential problem of
underfunding?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State Press