Re: Wikipedia?

Marion,

may I suggest a couple of starting points for such a rational discussion, which I happen to think to be an excellent suggestion?

I would like to start with a remark.

Lawrence Lessig, in a recently revised edition ("CODE version 2.0", downloadable at http://codev2.cc/ ) of his 1999 Opus Magnus, "CODE and Other Laws of Cyberspace", put this very impressive dedication:

TO WIKIPEDIA, THE ONE SURPRISE THAT TEACHES MORE THAN ANYTHING HERE.

So why we don't just stop for a while and try to think through what might have motivated such an unusual dedication? Of course, I will not introduce here neither Lawrence Lessig, nor his books and many activities. But I will say that according to alexa.com wikipedia.org is the twelfth most visited domain (and still going up). Among western domains there are *only* seven domains more popular than wikipedia.org, namely yahoo.com, msn.com, google.com, youtube.com, myspace.com, live.com and orkut.com. All commercial and mighty enterprises. And *nothing else*.

Now, unless we assume that people are stupid and that lately they have nothing better to do than chase unreliable information in an encyclopedia (of all places), we have to give a credit to the surprise mentioned in the above dedication and really stop to try to think it over.

Actually, thinking it over might not be an easy job. Not at all. Wikipedia, in particular, and Social Production, in more general terms, are very profound phenomena of the Internet age and they do require plausible, consistent, academic explanation! Lots of it, indeed.

The best one I know of so far is Yochai Benkler's recent book, "The Wealth of Networks, How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom", Yale University Press, 2006, which is also downloadable at http://www.benkler.org/wealth_of_networks . I would recommend reading Chapter 3, "Peer Production and Sharing" for those who don't have time to read the whole book. In that Chapter there are altogether 6 or 7 pages dedicated to the working environment of wikipedia and which elucidates many of the perplexities which appear in earlier messages in this thread and in similar list discussions.

The best thing, of course, would be to read the entire book which is much much deeper than an explanation of wikipedia. Understanding wikipedia, though, is essential to follow the book's academic, brilliant and profusely multi-disciplinar analysis of Social Production.

I hope that this might be helpful. I am not a member of this list but I will try to follow up on this thread in the coming days.

Cordially Yours,

Imre Simon
http://www.ime.usp.br/~is/

Marion Sumerianlibrarian <marionsumerianlibrarian@yahoo.com> wrote:

your points are all so very, very true!

yet these are points that has been made quite a few times on the
liblicense list -- as well as at innumerable other sites, and in
a wide variety of formats.

it almost seems as if no one follows the wiki thread even one or
two steps back, never mind incorporating the points that have
been made (hashed and re-hashed), before posting a consummately
elegant response on web4lib.

the issue for me becomes: how could we then proceed with an
organized discussion of the wikipedia phenomenon, and all of the
interesting questions and responses that pertain to it, in a
fashion that brings new information to the table, and moves the
discussion forward in productive, possibly creative way?

would a wiki, or a blog, be an appropriate forum for extending
this discussion among information organization professionals and
students aspiring to the profession?

marion s