RE: Query Re Library Responsibility for Library Patrons' Use

Hi -- I think that Jill, Rick and Andrew hit the nail on the head
with this.

I have been asked by vendors (especially those new to the library
market) for similar language and I have been able to point out
that this is not reasonable for us to enforce.  A similar type of
condition is when the vendor asks that we destroy all copies of
the electronic files if the contract is not renewed (including
those on patron machines). What I will do is respond that I
cannot control or regulate this activity and most vendors are
reasonable.

This may come about from a desire, especially with a template
contract, to ask the customer for everything.  It might be less
important to them, but something that will allow them to get
something else in the contract.  Sometimes we ask vendors for
multiple things knowing that we can give some up in the spirit of
cooperation or negotiation.

All our legal documents have to go through the Office of General
Counsel. I will often let them play the bad cop with classes that
are unreasonable or unenforceable.  But when possible, I try to
get those out of the document before they even go over for
review.

Hope this helps.

Best -- Corey

Corey Seeman