RE: Query Re Library Responsibility for Library Patrons' Use

I think a rough analogy to this is photocopiers.  In most
libraries there is a posting of the appropriate legal wording
regarding copyright and that's that.  If someone violates that
it's their responsibility not the library's.  (and I realize that
some schools do require everything to go through a copy centre
and really enforce this more).  In any event, I think people (and
publishers) are generally reasonable in accepting that there are
limits on what we can do in regards to user behaviour. People do
what they want. It's curious to me why publishers would even try
to get such language in a contract when it seems that most
libraries immediately get it changed or removed.  I'd be
interested in seeing a posting from a publisher who has this
clause who could explain their reasoning.

Quoting Jill Taylor-Roe <Jill.Taylor-Roe@newcastle.ac.uk>:

> I would echo Rick's response on this one - If there are any
> licence clauses I feel uncomfortable about signing up to, I
> usually run them past a very helpful contact in our Law School,
> and if he thinks the terms are excessive, he will often suggest
> an alternative wording which we then pursue with the
> publisher/vendor.  We are usually able to reach an
> accommodation that suits both parties. We are particularly wary
> about indemnity clauses which imply that we accept
> responsibility for things we clearly have no control over.
>
> regards.
> Jill Taylor-Roe
>
> ________________________________

--=20