From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of Rick Anderson
Sent: Sat 24/02/2007 15:55
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Query Re Library Responsibility for Library Patrons' Use

> Have any of you encountered this statement or a similar one?
> How did you handle it? Thanks for your help.

I've encountered it several times, and it's always been a walking
point for us -- there's no way we would agree to license terms
that hold the library institutionally responsible for end-user
behavior.  The library will accept responsibility for what it's
capable of doing: informing end-users about the terms, doing what
it can to prevent a breach of license terms, and acting quickly
to cure a breach if it occurs.  But to accept institutional
responsibility for what patrons do would be insanity.

In my experience, it's very rare that a publisher fails to see
reason on this issue when it's clearly (and firmly) explained. In
ten years of license negotiation, I think I've walked away from
one deal over this issue.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition