Re: DC Principles Coalition Issues Press Release

If Lynch's definition was what was generally meant by a
repository, I don't think there would be any controversy. I doubt
the publishers would object to making available materials within
a defined organization or closed community.

99% of time repositories are mentioned, however, they refer to
sites for open access for users beyond the boundaries of the
community or organization. If we could get back to a point that
is truer to Lynch's original definition, then the problem would
be half solved.

However, I doubt that Dr. Harnad and others who wish to achieve
OA through author deposited manuscripts and repositories would
accept the more limited definition of repository. That train has
already left the station, it seems.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services