RE: Wikipedia?

> Well, I guess if people want to use Wikipedia OK -- each to his
> own.  I still think it shows something of a slippage of
> standards. And for those who think errors are OK -- well, fine

The idea that Wikipedia is somehow uniquely error-prone cracks me
up. In libraries, we subscribe to newspapers as a matter of
course, and when it comes to accuracy, I think the average
Wikipedia entry would compare pretty favorably to the average
news story.  We also buy books that are written by political
hacks (across the political spectrum) and that we know perfectly
well are filled with distortion and bias.  Are these resources
full of errors?  Of course.  Do we use them anyway?  Yes, because
a resource doesn't have to be perfect in order to be worth what
it costs, or to fulfill a valuable educational purpose (comparing
the fulminations of Al Franken and Dinesh D'Souza can be very
instructive). If all our tools and resources had to be
error-free, we'd have precious few tools and resources.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries