Re: Data on circulation of books

I've been listening to this conversation with interest. I believe
that most of the issues that have been mentioned are more nuanced
than we've read so far and, without recognizing that, it would be
extremely easy to gain the completely wrong impression.

First, there is a great difference between use of monographs (and
serials, for that matter) and circulation statistics. There are a
good number of disciplines, generally in the Humanities, where
in- house use of monographs is at least as significant as
circulation. It's common to walk down by stack-level carrels in
most research libraries and see people working with a pile of
books, none of which is going to be checked out. Since these same
disciplines are often the lead producers of scholarly monographs
(I think especially of my own scholarly background, French
literature), it's not a case of libraries and publishers not
knowing when to say "no". It's a case of one statistical measure
not demonstrating its theoretical value. The fact that such a
large percentage of books in a library never circulate doesn't
mean that this same percentage is never used, and academic
librarians know this. Our problem is that we have not found a
good way to measure in-house use--simple solutions like counting
books left on tables and/or photocopiers haven't been found to be
terribly accurate.

I think that the "holy grail" as it were of monographic use
statistics is something that we hope e-books will provide. We'll
know each time a book is opened. It sounds good, anyway, if we
can work with aggregators and publishers to find a portal for
these resources that doesn't frustrate users with single-user
check-outs and/or client software. Users will expect that access
should work as well for books as it does for articles.

The difference between "availability" and "ease of access" is,
conversely, apparent to anyone who spent significant time in a
reference room in the early 1990s and either overheard or was the
reference librarian explaining to the freshman that Lexis-Nexis
was not the best source for a paper on the condition of peasants
in Eastern Europe from 1918 to 1945 (disclosure: I was that
librarian), and that was why he was not finding any articles. The
freshman was equally sure that he would, because it was "easier"
to sit in mounting frustration and poke through the only
full-text database available than it would be to use a print
index and then go retrieve articles in bound volumes of journal
backfiles. Online but not appropriate for that particular use
seemed easier. This sounds even more familiar now.

It should also be remembered that intellectual access to books
via traditional library catalogs--online as well as cards--is not
as deep as access to the article literature--subject headings are
so broad that they don't tell the story. Full-text searching of
books should eventually change that, once these become more in
the forefront of users' routines. This underlines Joe's theorem
that findable and available are two different animals. It also
gives some legitimacy to the "tear down the walls" school of
thought.

When I was a graduate student back in the hoary old days before
Google or even the Web (yes, and they had electricity then, can
you believe it?), our professors would often moan that we never
bothered reading scholarly journals and depended almost entirely
on books. It would be interesting to see how the increasing
ubiquity of article- length work online may shift the brunt of
Humanities work toward that form, and how that might impact the
use of books, in or out of the library. And how the balance might
be found once online books are as routine a part of scholars'
background work as online articles have become.

For now, statistics can lead us astray.

Best,
Eliz

Elizabeth E. Kirk
Associate Librarian for Information Resources
Dartmouth College Library
6025 Baker-Berry Library, Rm. 115
Hanover, NH 03755-3525
telephone: (603) 646-9929