Re: Wikipedia?

Let me give a different perspective on Wikipedia.  I teach online
searching to graduate students at SJSU School and Library and
Information Services. My students and I find Wikipedia to be
quite useful as a "tool", not an authoritative source per se.

In general, students (and patrons/users), regardless of
educational level, struggle with synonyms in using search to
"find" information -- it's inherent in the messiness of
linguistics!  We find that Wikipedia quickly gives a context to
words, which can then be used in searching other sources.  I find
it particularly useful in the world of emerging technologies
which is constantly coining new acronyms and using confusing
terminology to mask reinvention of concepts.

Wikipedia also shines in the area of popular culture, but I
wouldn't trust it for medical information.  The mantra is that it
can be a useful a starting point, but always, always, always
check multiple sources (but isn't the same advice we've always
given?)

Warm regards,
Jean  Bedord
Internet Business Strategist