Sent: 14 February 2007 21:19
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Data on circulation of books

wanted to address just one aspect of Tony's comment below.

Can we "take the digitisation of journal backfiles as an
indicator"?  I don't think we can.  Backlist and out-of-print
books have always been actively monitored by publishers, but not
so journal backfiles until the advent of online publishing.  The
monitoring of books in "the old days" (pre-1994) took various
forms, not the least of which being the editorial advisory boards
that all publishers work with.  Many, many times when I was the
editor of a college paperback line I would get a letter
(hardcopy, with an actual stamp on the envelope) suggesting that
I bring this or that book back into print.  Entire companies were
built around this (e.g., Dover Publications).  And authors
monitored this:  all publishers from the prehistoric period
remember receiving letters from authors or their agents invoking
the "out of print" clause, which stipulated that the rights be
reverted to the author after a particular title was no longer
available to the public; such letters often resulted in a book
going into a reprint. Journals always had a different
dynamic--the rights issue for one, where there was no motivated
author since there was no basis for a reversion of rights.

In the end we will have the empirical data, and that should put
an end to this argument.  My principal regret is that money and
time (and time is the bigger factor) are being expended by some
against the expectation that there will be an enormous boon for
scholars when, say, all the books published in 1919 are suddenly
available at the click of a mouse.  I would have preferred,
cheapskate that I am, for the proposition to be tested first.

Joe Esposito