Sent: 07 February 2007 23:55
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Funding OA (Long-Term)

Mr. Krichel:  Could you kindly explain further your message i.e.,
how it is responsive to the inquiry about long-term open access
funding for high quality, peer reviewed journals?  My point was
that libraries (particularly the larger ones) are more and more
being asked to contribute significant sums of money for ongoing
support, once OA projects have passed startup funding, and that
doesn't seem to me a secure source of revenue.  To wit, since
access is free, the incentives to keep paying are not high and
the financial underpinnings thus become vulnerable.

You replied that publishers need to change their journals
platforms to less costly ones and get free Web hosting somewhere.
Many small (and larger) publishers have already done exactly
that.  And, while reasonable, the suggestion doesn't provide much
help for the publishers of quality titles, as the rest of their
non-trivial costs remain to be covered.  Ann Okerson

[SNIP]