Update DOAJ Membership program

Following the recent launch for the Directory of Open Access
Journals (DOAJ) Membership Program please allow me to clarify a
few issues:

First of all: The DOAJ always has been a service which is freely
accessible for everyone - member or not - this will not change!!
It is our ambition to be able to continue developing and
maintaining the service, which is valued a lot from user all over
the world.

We are very grateful of the support from our current sponsors:
The National Library of Sweden <http://www.kb.se> Axiell AB
<http://www.axiell.se> EBSCO Information Services
<http://www.ebsco.com> CSA <http://www.csa.com> Our sponsors
provide important resources needed for the continuation of the
DOAJ.

Secondly: We might not have hit the right model in the first run.
We have received indications that the membership fees cannot be
met by - among others - libraries and institutions from the
developing world, where the DOAJ is especially appreciated.

Therefore we have decided to open up for en new category of
institutions, libraries etc. who want to support the DOAJ with
whatever contributions they might find appropriate taken their
financial resources in consideration. This new category - DOAJ
supporters - has been implemented on the DOAJ webpages.

Furthermore we are very grateful as well about the initial take
up of the DOAJ Membership Program by a number of university
libraries and library consortia. Their contributions are much
appreciated and they will enable us to continue the operations
and even implement some of the = ideas we continuously receive
from the community.

We have as well received strong indications the more university
libraries and consortia will join as members.

Hans Geleijnse, president of LIBER has made the following
statement in support of the DOAJ Membership programme:

---------------------

The Directory of Open Access Journals is an important service for
researchers and their libraries. Research results in various
disciplines are available, easy accessible.

The growth of the number of peer reviewed journals and articles
over the years and the increase of usage encourage the Open
Access movement and stimulate also the development of new
business models for scholarly communication.

Lund University has done a very good job by managing and
continuously improving this directory.

As President of LIBER, the Association of European Research
Libraries, I would like to recommend libraries to support this
work.

Hans Geleijnse

Finally I will repeat: DOAJ will remain to be freely available
for everyone!

Thank you for your support.

Lars Bjornshauge
Director of Libraries