Re: Funding OA (Long-Term)& Library Mission

    Jan mentions the pressure libraries have had in subscribing to
certain serial titles over the decades.  Certainly, this pressure
has had an impact on which titles were purchased.

    However, for many academic libraries, as well as some public
libraries, the issue of which serial title to purchase, or
continue, is more complex, especially when the mission of a given
library is to "preserve" such material for possible, future use.

    For instance, in my own 20 plus years of collection experience
at Harvard, there is always the question, "Who might use this
title in 50 years? In 100 years? In 300 years?"  I and many
colleagues look at developing bodies of collections, building
complex and complete domains of knowledge.

    If many libraries had not developed such a mission, the
current electronic landscape would be much different.  When it
came time for scanning old collections, whether monographic or
serial, were publishers (either commerical or society) the ones
with the complete printed sets?  Where would Google Book be
without their participating libraries?

    Now, with the digital revolution, there are newer
organizations being developed with preservation as one mission.
However, there are still no major cultural institutions other
than libraries/archives/museums with a specified mission to
preserve for future generations.  I'm happy to take bets on which
institute will be more likely to be here in 100 years--Harvard or
Google.

    So, any Open Access model (or likely several concurrent
models) will need to include components for preservation akin to
what libraries have done for their societies/cultures these past
centuries.  And there are folks looking at this complexity.  Of
course, we could use more voices and support in this endeavor! To
help all of us "to get there from where we are now."

Michael Leach
Head of Collection Development, Cabot Science Library, Harvard
Past President, American Society for Information Science & Technology
Adjunct Professor, Simmons GSLIS