RE: COUNTER: current status and advice to users

> Excuse my ignorance, but would someone please explain to me why
> anyone cares about usage statistics for books? I can understand
> that usage statistics for journals might enter into decisions
> about whether to continue subscriptions, but what decisions
> follow from book usage statistics?

For journals and databases, usage statistics give us some help in
deciding whether or not to continue subscribing to individual
titles.  For books, usage statistics are more interesting in the
aggregate -- they can tell us how much of our book collection is
being used, how frequently it's being used, and (potentially most
useful of all) how usage patterns are distributed among the
subject areas.  You're correct in pointing out that once a book
is purchased, the purchasing is over for that title.  But we keep
buying books from that publisher, or on that subject, and being
able to see usage trends can help us shape future purchasing
behavior.

The usefulness of usage statistics is limited, of course, just as the
usefulness of any tool is limited.  But they do provide one important
part of the picture.

---
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition