----- Original Message -----
From: "Mcsean, Tony (ELS)" <T.Mcsean@elsevier.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 3:59 PM

I think this is one of those unanswerable questions. When I ran the BMA library our annual book loan figures were almost 50% of the total stock, but this was a working clinician's library as well as research and that would distort the numbers. I would think that was pretty well up the hectic end of the continuum and that for most large, old research libraries the long tail would be of midgard serpent dimensions.

To answer speculatively your question on the efects of large-scale digitisation. If we take the digitisation of journal backfiles as an indicator, we can probably expect to see the usage increase pretty significantly, and ILL traffic to diminish also.

Tony McSean
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier
London NW1 7BY