RE: COUNTER: current status and advice to users]

I care about statistics for books, journals, gate counts and
other measurable statistics.  These numbers are VERY important to
me, the library, the university.  Also, we have to report out
stats to national organizations on a regular basis.  We report
these numbers to our university and our college division.  If a
company/publisher isn't interested in COUNTER, then I have to ask
why. If a publisher isn't COUNTER compliant, then I ask when you
plan to be.  We count electronic and non-electronic visits to our
library.  In short, statistical accounting is VERY important to
librarians. Jeff

Jeffrey G. Coghill, MA, MLIS, AHIP
Collection Dev. & Electronic Res. Librarian
East Carolina University
Allied Health Building
Greenville, NC  27834
coghillj@ecu.edu