Sent: 14 February 2007 00:08
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: COUNTER: current status and advice to users]

Excuse my ignorance, but would someone please explain to me why
anyone cares about usage statistics for books? I can understand
that usage statistics for journals might enter into decisions
about whether to continue subscriptions, but what decisions
follow from book usage statistics? Since books are unique items,
and a library has already purchased the book before any usage
statistics are available, what does one do with the statistics
one gathers about book usage? I can imagine that authors might
find the information valuable, as usage might be some indicator
of value, and even publishers might find the information useful,
as a sign of what kinds of books seem to have a greater
receptivity in the market than others. But why are these
statistics important to librarians?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press