Re: COUNTER: current status and advice to users]

Excuse my ignorance, but would someone please explain to me why anyone cares about usage statistics for books? I can understand that usage statistics for journals might enter into decisions about whether to continue subscriptions, but what decisions follow from book usage statistics? Since books are unique items, and a library has already purchased the book before any usage statistics are available, what does one do with the statistics one gathers about book usage? I can imagine that authors might find the information valuable, as usage might be some indicator of value, and even publishers might find the information useful, as a sign of what kinds of books seem to have a greater receptivity in the market than others. But why are these statistics important to librarians?

Sandy Thatcher
Penn State University Press

*Books and Reference Works (Release 1)*: since it was published in March 2006, 3 vendors have become compliant with this Code of Practice. Implementation by vendors has been slower for several reasons, the most important of which is the fact that demand from librarians for COUNTER compliant usage statistics is, as yet, much less strong for books than it is for journals. This is, however, beginning to change as both supply of and demand for e-books is starting to accelerate, and we expect a rapid expansion in the number of vendors compliant with this Code of Practice in 2007.