RE: Data on circulation of books

I think this is one of those unanswerable questions.  When I ran
the BMA library our annual book loan figures were almost 50% of
the total stock, but this was a working clinician's library as
well as research and that would distort the numbers.  I would
think that was pretty well up the hectic end of the continuum and
that for most large, old research libraries the long tail would
be of midgard serpent dimensions.

To answer speculatively your question on the efects of
large-scale digitisation.  If we take the digitisation of journal
backfiles as an indicator, we can probably expect to see the
usage increase pretty significantly, and ILL traffic to diminish
also.

Tony McSean
Director of Library Relations
Elsevier